petdrz.
petdrz., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

My dog has swelling on right side at bottom of s rib cage,

Customer Question

My dog has swelling on right side at bottom of his rib cage, thanks
Category: Dog
Expert:  petdrz. replied 10 months ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Teddy today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information in order to better assist you if you don't mind.

Is the swelling attached to the body wall or does it move?

Does it seem painful?

Is it firm or soft?

COuld he possibly have experienced any sort of trauma?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Feels like attached to end of bottom rib. Does not move. Firm, not hard. Does not seem to be in any pain. Don't think he's had any trauma.
Expert:  petdrz. replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for the prompt reply.

If it is attached to the rib and it is on the end of it, it is possible that it is just a calcification of the cartilage portion of the rib that occurs with age. Unfortunately, there is also a possibility that it could be a tumor involving the bone or cartilage. It is impossible to diagnose most lumps just by the way they look or feel, but there are other ways to determine the seriousness of the lump.

There is a test called a fine needle aspirate (FNA) which can be performed by collecting a sample of cells from the mass with a needle and then examining under the microscope. This can usually be done right in the clinic. It is not always definitive enough to let you know the exact cause of the lump, but it may help to make the decision of if anything else needs to be done, like surgical removal. Some growths are easily identified as benign and that is all that needs to be done unless the growth is of a size to be bothering the dog. I would definitely recommend that you have your veterinarian evaluate it.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z