Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

My name is ***** *****. I'm in the middle of moving from one

Customer Question

my name is ***** *****. I'm in the middle of moving from one county to another, I took my ***** ***** to local et to update rabies shot, & the vet discovered an exposed nerve on pup's tooth, Between moving and the vet's schedule, they can't schedule extraction till feb 27th. What can i give the dog for toothache?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: vet discovered an exposed nerve on pup's tooth, The vet said she believes my pup must be experiencing pain. Between moving and the vet's schedule, they can't schedule extraction till feb 27th. What can i give the dog for toothache?Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/pet-dog/6quor-give-dog-toothache-until-sees-vet.html#ixzz3yfiU6XSQ
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 10 months ago.

There will be nothing over-the-counter that can be used safely or effectively for long-term oral pain control.

I would not recommend drugs like aleve, aspirin, ibuprofen, or tylenol for this purpose.

So, you will need to ask your vet for a oral pain medication like Gabapentin or Tramadol to help.

Also, if not hypersalivating, eating normally, and not chewing awkwardly, you could be very conservative in pain medication given, as those are some typical signs to suggest tooth discomfort.

Good Luck