Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog ate about 1/3 of the clear sticky goo inside a stress

Customer Question

My dog ate about 1/3 of the clear sticky goo inside a stress ball he got ahold of. What should I do?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago?

How much does he weigh?

How is he just now?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
He's an 8lb Pomeranian
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It was less than 10 min ago and he's calm but alert now. Acting normal. Should I give him hydrogen peroxide to make him throw it up?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Thank you,

Now the dilemma with this type of ingestion is that there are no set ingredients in these products. Therefore, some are toxic while others are not. If you know the brand of ball, you can consider calling the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) @ (888)(###) ###-#### Though I do have to note that they do charge a $65 consultation fee.

Otherwise, we'd be best to err on the side of caution here. To start, we can induce vomiting. To do so, you can use 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

Afterwards, you can also use activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version in grams, not the one for gas since you will need a lot of these) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Finally, after the above, we do want to try to address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled.

Overall, these types of ingestions can be tricky since there are no safety regulations on what are in these balls. Therefore, we'd be best to err on the side of caution with the above (as well as rinsing any residue from his mouth) and then monitoring for the next 24 hours. If we get it all out and he settles, we are happy. But any adverse signs and we'd need to get his local vet involved for symptomatic care.

Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or via

http://www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! :

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)