Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

My 15 year old Lab just let out a loud yelp, fell ti the

Customer Question

My 15 year old Lab just let out a loud yelp, fell ti the ground, legs sprawled out...eyes stayed open, breathing got very shallow...slowly she started breathing heavier, then back to normal. She got up (with our help) and is walking a bit wobly. She is sleeping & snoring/vocalizing louder than normal. Seems uncomfortable, not in serious pain.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She keeps getting up & walking around, but does not seem in severe pain, maybe tender from falling?
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

Hi this is DRB and I would be happy to help you with this. This sounds like a small seizure to me especially if she returned to normal after the incident. There are several things that can cause seizures in dogs but when they are older they need to be checked for things like brain tumors. The other possibility is that she may have had a partial syncopal episode which is a partial fainting episode. This usually is caused by heat problems. I would suggest you take her to your vet and have a full exam done including a cranial nerve exam along with a CBC, chem panel, lyte panel and Thyroid panel with urinalysis. Some older dogs can also have hypothyroidism which can lead to various neurologic problems. IN all likelihood if she is acting normal now she will be fine overnight but you should get her in first thing to your vet for the evaluation I mentioned above. I hope this helps you. If you have other questions you can leave them here and I will get back to you as I check my computer every night for follow up. Sincerely, DRB

Please hit rate my service as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you very much.

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

do you have additional questions right now?

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

Sorry the part above was supposed to say this is usually caused by heart problems.....

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Thought she wa dying her breathing seemed to stop then started super fast now normal. Would the yelp be a precursor to a seizure?
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

Dogs will yelp like that when they are startled or in pain. Some dogs will vocalize either before a seizure or before a fainting episode....

can I answer any other questions for you tonight?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No thank you. I will take her in 1st thing tomorrow.
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

Ok, let me know if you need additional help. Sincerely, DRB

Please hit rate my service as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you very much!

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jennifer,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Kayla. How is everything going?
Dr B
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

Can I help you further or answer any other questions for you?

Sincerely, DRB