Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

2 days ago in the evening my wife found a 3-4 inch rawhide

Customer Question

Customer: Hi - 2 days ago in the evening my wife found a 3-4 inch rawhide chewie piece underneath a seat cushion and against my better judgment we gave it to our 14-lb 5 year old cairn terrier. Yesterday we found clear vomit but thought it was our cat. last night he threw up clear bile with froth on our deck and this morning he is still trying to throw up. will rawhide soften and pass through? his stomach is firm but not tender. yesterday he was acting normally. what do you think -- continue to monitor him? and skip breakfast this am?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: no
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 10 months ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question.

Is he vomiting or attempting to vomit immediately after eating/drinking?

Do you know if he's defecating normally?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
no to first Q
yes to second
Expert:  Lisa replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

So the thing I worry about is the possibility of an intestinal obstruction.

You have every right to be concerned. Your dog is showing some symptoms of an intestinal obstruction. The attempting to vomit with no success and firm stomach in the days after ingesting a piece of rawhide are HUGE warning signs that your dog needs to be seen by a vet immediately.

An intestinal obstruction (likely caused by the rawhide) is what happens when the dog ingests something that is too big or too bulky to pass through the digestive tract the normal way. It gets stuck on one of the turns in the intestines and stops the flow of everything, causing your dog to get sicker and sicker until the intestine ruptures (if left untreated).

This is something that is absolutely, positively worth the drive to the emergency vet (unless your vet is still open, in which case you could call the). Since your dog is already showing signs of obstruction I would strongly urge you to NOT wait until morning to have him seen...intestinal obstructions can turn fatal very quickly, so time is of the essence here.

At the emergency vet, they'll take an x-ray to see where the obstruction is and if it's still high up in the digestive tract, they'll have to remove it surgically.

You can read more about obstructions below:

http://www.thepetcenter.com/sur/io.html

I hope everything works out.