Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

My g.s. is losing alot more hair than usual & i'm worries.

Customer Question

Customer: my g.s. is losing alot more hair than usual & i'm worries. the last groomer dida terrible job, left her wet & changed the feel of her hair. any ideas?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: if i run my hand down her anywhere alot of hair comes off in my hand & theres a grainy feel to her hair.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been working with dogs for 25 years and I will be happy to assist you today.

Can you tell me how old your German Shepherd is?.

Was dryness of the fur a problem before the bath but got worse after the bath?

Do you add any omega fatty acids to the dogs meal and if so what?

Has your dog ever been tested for a thyroid problem?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
my dog is 11 yrs old. dryness got worse after groomer bath. i do add omega to diet. my dog has had thyroid problem & medicine for it, but vet said to cut in half.

Thank you for that information. I suspect what you are seeing is a combination of age and thyroid related. The thyroid can have a dog loose its hair and the hair can become brittle and dry.

You don't mentio what omega you use but I have found that coconut oil works better than most.

Also when your GS is groomed I would mention that you would like an extra conditioner on the dog after the shampoo.

I would also let your vet know as the meds may need to be adjusted again.

Use of coconut oil/ if you are not currently useing this then start out slowly adding it to the food as too much at once can cause loose stool

http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/the-health-benefits-of-coconut-oil/