Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

My puppy just started throwing up. She's thrown up about 5

Customer Question

My puppy just started throwing up. She's thrown up about 5 times in the last couple hours.
She hasn't eaten today but throws up whole dog food that she ate yesterday. She just got a bath where she drank tons of water and after that is when she started throwing up. She's a husky about 7 weeks old. She was just sitting in the corner with her eyes closed whining.
What might it be
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 10 months ago.

Hello. I am sorry to hear that your pup is not feeling well. My name is ***** ***** I have been a veterinary nurse for 27 years. I would be happy to help.

When a young pup stops eating and starts vomiting that in itself warrants an immediate vet visit. One of the biggest causes for vomiting whole food the day after eating in a puppy is an intestinal blockage. Puppies love to eat things they should not such as toys, pieces of clothing, towels, etc. These objects are often to big to pass and become stuck in either the stomach or the intestines preventing food from moving through. An intestinal obstruction can become life threatening rather quickly depending on where it is located.

Of course considering her age we also have to be concerned about illnesses such as Parvo and the best chance for survival with this virus is getting treatment started as soon as possible.

I know no one comes here to have someone say your pet needs to see a vet but my job is to advise you on the best course of action for your specific pet. A pup this age can become critical very quickly simply from the vomiting so I have to suggest getting her in to see the vet immediately. If your vet is closed I would suggest taking her to your local ER. If you do not know where an emergency vet is in your area please provide your zip code and I can assist you in locating one.

I would not put this off until tomorrow. The vet may want to do x rays and possible a parvo test.

I hope this provides some guidance and she does OK. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue. If you have no additional questions please take a few moments to provide a rating so that we can end our chat. Please let me know how things are going and what the vet says.

Candy

Expert:  Candy replied 10 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Candy