Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

Our 6 year old bulldog Lou died out of the clear blue this

Customer Question

Customer: Our 6 year old bulldog Lou died out of the clear blue this past Friday morning. When I cam home Thrusday afternoon he was his normal happy slef. Then later in the evening, he vomited, then pooped and vomited again. I assumed it was a virus of some kind. Didn't think too much about it over night but when I got up in the morning he had gotte sick again and was very lethargic. Decide he needed to go to the vet right away. Quickly got dressed and he passed away before I could even get out the door. Devastated, he was such a healthy happy dog. Searching for answers.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: He was fine, young and healthy. Then just got sick out of clear blue, and died within 12 hours.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 10 months ago.

Hello, I am very sorry to hear of your loss. I know how devastating a sudden death is when you believe the dog is perfectly healthy.

Without a necropsy being done there is no way to know for sure what happened to your baby. Absent from some type of poisinging, this breed is prone to a couple of heart defects and they are not always picked up on a vet visit. This is the only thing that I can see in this breed that would cause a sudden death. Your baby may have had a virus that put a strain on the heart itself.

I am sorry that this seems so vague but I am sure you understand that this is not something that has specific symptoms other than a virus.

I know how heart broken you are as I have been there myself. There is a site I would like to direct you to which may help get you through these feelings as we were all there for the same reason. www.petloss.com

Again I am very, very sorry for your loss.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks for your response. I know we will never know for sure without an autopsy. I do have a ? though. Pretty sure he wasn't poisoned or ate something not good for him. But is it typical for a bulldog to get sick with vomiting and bowel movements with a heart problem? Are those symptoms of heart problems?

not that they would be symptoms of a heart problem but if it were a virus it could put strain on the heart. He may have felt weakened