Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My shepherd ate 90 ounces of duraflame stick starter log & I

Customer Question

Hello. My shepherd ate 90 ounces of duraflame stick starter log & I guess realized it wasn't so good after all. Any suggestions for at home treatment or what to watch for? Thank you
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago?

What signs are you seeing just now? Vomiting? Diarrhea?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This happened sometime within the past 3 hours that he was unattended. He hasn't shown any signs yet, as I just found the mess so idk if he just did this or started hours ago.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Now the good news is that these are not toxic and just made of sawdust, agricultural fibers, waxes and oils. So, when they eat these fire starters; it’s not a poisoning. That said, when they eat a lot of these wood-based material, there is a blockage risk. So, we do need to tread with care.

With that in mind, as long as Kal-el is well in himself, we’d just want to start supportive care to push this all through the gut while keeping a close eye on him. To start, if you have noticed that the shards left over from this are quite sharp and thus a risk of causing gut trauma, then we can try feeding him a "Vaseline sandwich” just now. I know this will sound odd but the aim here is that the bread will coat the any sharp bits and bulk up what is being passed in the gut. And that Vaseline will act as a lubricant to aid sliding this through the GI with hopefully minimal damage. To make this, you just want to spread Vaseline (or cat hairball treatment) over a piece of whole wheat bread, slather it on, and cover this with a second slice. This can then be hand fed to in pieces.

Afterwards, we will want to start him on small meals of bland food (ie cooked rice with boiled chicken/white fish or scrambled egg) for the next few days. Whichever you choose, you consider adding a spoonful of canned pumpkin or all bran to the meals. The fiber in these will further encourage any material to move through the GI. As well, cat hairball treatment or a GI lubricant (ie Latulose, Miralax, food grade mineral oil) can also be added to these meals to help it slip through.

While encouraging passage of this material, you do want to keep a close eye on him. Specifically, we need to keep an eye out for any belly tenderness or pain when you press on his stomach, pale gums, straining to pass feces, passing blood in vomit or stools, appetite loss, restlessness, or black feces. If you did see any of these; then those are all red flags of a possible blockage or trauma and would require him to be seen urgently by your vet for an exam +/- xray.

Overall, we do always have to tread with care in situations like this. So, at this stage and in this situation, we’d want to use the above steps to encourage this to pass while we keep a close eye on him. If we can do this for the next 48 hours and see no issue, then we'd suspect we are out of the woods and that he has either digested or passed the material without bother. Of course, any of those warning signs and we’d want Kal-el seen urgently.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How much bread per body weight he is 70 pounds? Can we use veg oil instead of vas.?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

Its not a weight based dose, so since our large breed dogs have similar sized stomachs 2 pieces of bread and a good slather of a GI lubricant would be ideal (we'd do a half if he had been a small or toy breed). Anyway, you can try olive oil or fish oil (from fish oil capsules) but I would lean away from veggie oil (its quite fatty and could cause pancreatitis is sensitive dogs) but I would note that the Vaseline or cat hair ball treatments are ideal since they are no digested by the gut and therefore can slip things through further then the oils. Still in a pinch you can try those 2 oils if need be.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for everything.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

All the best to you both,

Dr. B.

** Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Toni,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Kal-El. How is everything going?
nekovet
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

**Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)