Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Well, my name is ***** *****, I have a 14 year old

Customer Question

Customer: Well, my name is ***** *****, I have a 14 year old Jack Russel/Shitzu mix whose name is ***** ***** she has been the love of my life since I took her home at 6 weeks. Unfortunately I have been noticing that she has increased her water intake, has frequent urination, appears to be sudden onset of cataracts and fatigue and it seems as though she has lost quite a bit of weight from her usual chinky self.- she continues to have a very good appetite and this has been ongoing now for a week. My thought is that she has diabetis and possibly some pancreatic issues because her stool is beige color - she does not appear to be in pain and she does not appear to be sensitive to touch in her abdominal area. respirations are normal. I am a nurse for humans and am totally self diagnosing but I think I am pretty accurate. My question is being that she is 14 and this appears to have happened so suddenly - although I am sure there were signs I just didn't catch earlier. how long can this go untreated before death occurs and will it become painful. thank you
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: up until this point she has been very healthy and is up to date on all shots
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 10 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Gizmo. Her polydipsia, polyuria and weight loss in spite of eating very well does indicate diabetes mellitus and sudden cataract formation is pathognomonic of diabetes in dogs. How quickly her quality of life would deteriorate and death occur would be predicated upon the severity of her diabetes. As you know, uncontrolled diabetes is a dreadful disease and "watchful waiting" until she deteriorates isn't appropriate. Diabetic dogs are insulin-dependent and are commonly successfully treated. I encourage your having Gizmo's vet perform a thorough physical exam including fasted blood and urine tests and you'll know within 24 hours if Gizmo is a good candidate for therapy.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.