Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

I have a beautiful female Newfoundland. I was just given a

Customer Question

Customer: I have a beautiful female Newfoundland. I was just given a male by someone who cannot keep him anymore. He is healthy, beautiful and has a great temperament. Wen I looked back at his pedigree, I see that both dogs have the same grandfather. I bred one of my other Newfs years ago, so I am familiar with the care and breeding of Newfs. I am just unsure of the thoughts on linebreeding, especially since I did not raise the grandfather, although I have been told he is a fabulous animal.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I am curious about the views on linebreeding
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 10 months ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Line breeding is basically inbreeding which is breeding two dogs closely related. If the grandfather in question was an excellent example of the breed in all ways such as conformation, personality and health wise, then the shared grandfather might actually be a desirable thing. Many breeders will breed back to a grandfather or a dog with a shared ancestor to help fix that dog's traints in the resulting pups and bloodlines. With just that one shared grandparent, it really shouldn't be much of an issue as long as he and his offspring haven't had genetic issues such as joint, heart or eye issues.

While inbreeding can fix desired traits into a bloodline, if the common ancestor had genetic issues, the genes for those undesired issues might be doubled up but like I mentioned, it usually isn't much of a problem with just one shared grandparent. If any of the other dogs in a the pedigree were doubled up, then I would be more concerned. So do your research and check for health issues in the shared grandparent and his offspring as that will give you the most information on potentially genetic issues being passed down to pups.

If you are interested in the subject you can read more on it here:

http://www.chromadane.com/index.php/en/chromalinx/96-general-breed-info/the-breeder-s-corner/115-practical-genetics-for-dog-breeders

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer so I am compensated for my time.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?