Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

I have a six month old. She swallowed a pice of rawhide she

Customer Question

I have a six month old ***** *****. She swallowed a pice of rawhide she had been chewing on. She has been eating a drinking as usual What should i do
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 10 months ago.

Hello, thank you for using this site to help you with your problem. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years and am trained in pet first aid for aiding animals in disasters. It will be my pleasure to help you today.

How big was the piece she swallowed?

When did she swallow it?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It was about thumb size and she eat it about 3 hours ago

thank you for that information. At this point since the dog is not showing any signs of distress and is still eating and drinking I would suggest that you keep an eye out for the symptoms of obstruction of the bowel.

The piece may very well pass though the body just fine so you can watch the stool and see if it passes.

Symptoms of obstruction are sudden lack of appetite, vomiting, diarrhea and lethargy

If you see any of those symptoms you will want your vet to x ray and see where it is. An obstruction would need surgery.