How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Scott Nimmo Your Own Question
Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 19839
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr Scott Nimmo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 27 pound dog managed to a few small baked chocolate goods

Customer Question

Customer: ***** *****. My 27 pound dog managed to snatch a few small baked chocolate goods off the counter. Was curious when/if we should be worried. It was about 1.5-2 hours ago and she is acting normal.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Nothing more to say, really. It was a store brand chocolate whoopie pie mix and each one had about 1 tsp of the mix involved. She had 4-5, as far as we can tell...
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and thanks for requesting me.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, I am in a very different time zone to you and have just come online first thing this morning and found your question. My name is***** I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon and I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

1. Good news, I very much doubt if this incident is going to adversely affect your dog very much, there are no special measures you need take other than just keeping an eye on her.

2. While chocolate can be toxic to dogs under certain circumstances they have to eat quite a lot, probably very much more than your dog ate before you would see signs of toxicity. I say this because :

3. The rule of thumb which I apply is that with milk chocolate mild signs of toxicity can occur when 0.7 ounces per pound of body weight is ingested. Severe signs occur when 2 ounces per pound of body weight is swallowed. If you estimate your dog's weight as being in the region of 27 lb then you can see that your dog would have to swallow around 18.9 ozs { More than one pound } of pure milk chocolate before any symptoms would even start to occur.

4. I am telling you the following just for your information as your dog ate so little you need not do anything and need not be concerned.

The symptoms of chocolate poisoning would include vomiting and diarrhoea as well as frequent urination, and restlessness in the early stages. This can then progress to cardiac dysfunction, tremors and fits. Of course you should call your vet without delay if any symptoms appear.

Having said that most dogs with chocolate poisoning will recover within 24 to 48 hours, particularly if serious symptoms do not occur. There is no specific treatment for chocolate poisoning only symptomatic treatment.

5. Here is a link to a very accurate article on chocolate toxicity in the dog, follow this and you can check the accuracy of my advice and read more on the subject : LINK

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.