Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My dog is 4 yrs old and in heat weeks and I can smell very

Customer Question

Customer: my dog is 4 yrs old and in heat for two weeks and I can smell very fishy smell sometimes, she keeps herself very clean . We reallyhave not ever seen her blood that much with any of her heat syclesels
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: sorry was trying to spell correct and sent it is we have never seen much blood because she keeps herself so clean
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 10 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

It sounds like you are seeing a secondary yeast or bacterial infection- ie vaginitis. This would explain the increased discharge and the smell that you are noticing.

To help with these guys, I like to use a round of antibiotics +/- anti-fungals. If you want to just do something at home, you can pick up some Malaseb wipes. These are antibacterial/ anti-fungal wipes. They can be used on the vulva 2-3 times daily until the signs resolve.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.