Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I was making breadsticks tonight and dropped a few crumbling

Customer Question

I was making breadsticks tonight and dropped a few crumbling pieces of the dough. My small dog (15lbs) of course gobbled them up. The pieces were no bigger than two peas at most. I didn't use yeast, but:
All purpose flour 1 1/4 cup
Baking powder- 1 tsp
Salt-1/2 tsp
Sugar-2 tsp
I'm wondering if I should make my dog throw up, or if pieces that size will be ok. I know yeast dough is bad, but I'm not sure of dough that uses baking powder.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 10 months ago.

Hello Dianna,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Diana,

I have worked out an answer for you ...

1. You are quite right the doughs to be concerned about are the one's containing active yeast, the sort of dough you mention containing baking powder are much less of a problem and will not cause any serious adverse symptoms unless quite large amounts were ingested.

2. However in your case the amounts of dough swallowed were very small indeed so really there are no special measures you need take, Sunflash should be just fine, this will not affect her in the slightest.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks! I didn't think it would be a problem, but for peace of mind I thought I'd ask to be sure.

No problem Diana, very glad to have advised you. I am sure you will not need it but I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate get straight back to me if Sunflash's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Diana,

I am just checking back in to see how Sunflash is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the breadstick dough ...

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sunflash. How is everything going?