Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

My 2 year old beagle came back from wandering in the woods

Customer Question

Hi, my 2 year old beagle came back from wandering in the woods and has a small red spot on her upper lip. Being that she's a beagle and has her nose to the ground tracking deer, I'm almost positive she slightly scraped it on something, it's not bleeding and doesn't seem to bother her and it is just below her nose.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Hi there! My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question. Just like an in person consult, I have a couple questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible.....

Do you know how long it's been there?

Any swelling to the area?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just since this afternoon when she got out. We live out in the woods and there's a trail we walk on that she goes to right across the road from our house and that's where she came running back from. She likes to chase the many deer in the area because she likes to run.
There's no swelling. It basically just looks like she skinned it like a skinned knee.
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Great. Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

At this point, there's nothing to do. I'd just monitor it for signs of infection.

You're going to want to watch for things like redness, swelling, heat to the area or any discharge. If she stops eating or becomes lethargic, those are also signs of an impending infection.

Luckily she's a beagle and they're tough little dogs, so I really don't expect you to see any issues here at all.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Lisa, it now appears this rash has spread to the other side of her lip and bot***** *****p. She hasn't had any change in food or treats, could there be another cause? Could this be an allergic reaction or something else?
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

What kind of food/water bowls does she use?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Stainless steel, same food and water dishes since I got her nearly 2 years ago without incident.
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Great....sometimes when a dog uses bowls that are more porous, such as plastic, they can get a dermatitis from the bacteria in the bowls, but that doesn't really happen with steel bowls, so we've ruled that out.

Since I don't know for sure if we're dealing with an injury, and because the rash is spreading (which doesn't really happen with injuries) I think our best bet now is to have your regular vet take a peek. My guess is that it's a little skin infection, so the vet may want to get her on some antibiotics before it spreads even further.

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tanya,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Tanya Cain. How is everything going?
Lisa