Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My name is ***** *****. My labrador retriever is 1.5 and I

Customer Question

Customer: Hi, my name is ***** *****. My labrador retriever is 1.5 and I just got home and he's normally super energetic, but wasn't when I arrived. Very slow to the door which is unusual. I can tell he doesn't feel good and his back legs are weak and shaky. It took some coaxing to get him down the stairs to go pee. Just worried what would cause this so suddenly? He also peed in the house which he never does
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: He was playing with about a 4-6 month old puppy earlier right before I left.. super energetic like himself.. playing fetch and running around having a blast. So I'm surprised when I get home about 3 hours later, he's obviously not feeling good. Not following me around the house like usual, moving very slow and just wants to lay down.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again

Sorry to hear your Lab is unwell, however I have worked out an answer for you below

1. In direct answer to your question : If symptoms continue then what you should do, just to be on the safe side is have a vet check your dog over sooner rather than later.

2. I say this because : While the symptoms you describe would not allow me or any other vet to pin this down to any one particular disease via the internet I would say from the fact that he is suddenly lethargic and shaking that it is possible that your dog is running a temperature and so may be in the grip of some kind of infection. This would be the commonest cause of these sorts of symptoms in a dog of his age group.

3. I normally like to suggest home remedies if I can do this safely but in your case I think it is not worth the risk as it could well be that prescription drugs such as antibiotics would be what is needed if he is indeed running a temperature, but you should be aware that a range of other diagnosis are also possible.

4. In the meantime until you can get him to a vet all you can do is to keep him comfortable and reassured and make sure he is taking fluids regularly.

I am sorry I cannot safely give you any more specific advice via the internet.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your Lab is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his sudden lethargy ...

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.