Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues
5071285

My dog, a shihtzu, age 20 months, and not over weight while

Customer Question

Customer: My dog, a shihtzu, age 20 months, and not over weight while playing retrieve with his toys after several throws in the living room begins to stick his tongue in and out and then white foam appears on his lower lip. We have tried new, washed and old toys. This has been going on for several month. Again this sticking out of the tongue and back in repeatedly only happens while engaging in play.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I think the first description covers it. Do you have any questions? He has healthy looking gums and no apparent stick lodge in his mouth.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes, we can wait.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Joan replied 10 months ago.

Thank-you for requesting me. I have been a Vet tech for 30+.

Have you don any trimming of the hair around the mouth?

Can you tell me what type of toys you are using?

Have you had his teeth checked?

Does this happen with all toys?

Does he do this when eating?

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 10 months ago.

You have not responded to me, but wanted to give you my opinion on what this is happening. In ShiTzu's they have a lot of hair around the mouth. We see this licking problem happen with dogs that the hair is not trimmed back. The hair when playing can get in the mouth and become annoying the dog can causing the reptitive licking. I would start and trim the hair around your pup's mouth and see if this resolves the problem. The other possibility is small focal seizures. Since this is basically happening with toys, I really suspect the hair is being annoying when playing.

Joan

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Plays with stuffed toys, usually from PetSmart.. Last night we changed to Spot Dura FLEX( from Petsmart) flexible rubber dog chew bone toy. This seemed to help, yet tonight some of the same behavior, but not as intense. He does not do this tongue behavior while eating. Yes, we have him groomed every 5 weeks or so. .. .he is very hairy even around the mouth. His groomer states, he is a groomer's delight with such healthy hair. Believe me, his care is BETTER than his humans.Thank you.
Expert:  Joan replied 10 months ago.

In ShiTzu's they have a lot of hair around the mouth. We see this licking problem happen with dogs that the hair is not trimmed back. The hair when playing can get in the mouth and become annoying the dog can causing the reptitive licking. I would start and trim the hair around your pup's mouth and see if this resolves the problem. The other possibility is small focal seizures. Since this is basically happening with toys, I really suspect the hair is being annoying when playing.

Joan