Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have owned, bred and shown dogs for over 40 years.
60411192

My name is ***** ***** and I've been seeing pink and spots

Customer Question

Customer: hi my name is ***** ***** and I've been seeing pink and white spots on my dogs bot***** *****p and im not sure of what they are should i be worrried ?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: a week ago i seen this pink like sore on the bottom of his lip i thought it may have been from messing with mouth with his paws but today i notice that 2 white bumps have appeared at the bottom of his lips and they kinda look like bumps
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for your dog. I do have a few additional questions to ask about him first if you don't mind:

1. How old is he?

2. What breed is he?

3. Do you think you could send me a picture of his lip? The following link walks you through the process:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert

4. If you can't send a picture or are unsuccessful (sometimes it's difficult to post to the site), can you tell me if the bumps are on the insider or outside of his lip.

There may be a slight delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you. Thanks for your patience. Deb

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is two
he is lab and hound mixed
and the bumps are on the outside of his lip
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the answers to my questions. I'm assuming that it's not possible for you to post a picture of the bumps which you've found which is unfortunate since in this particular case, a picture truly would be worth a thousand words.

But, in the absence of one, several thoughts come to mind as to what might be going on with your lab:

1. These could be viral papillomas which you're seeing which are completely benign.

2. He could be experiencing an allergic reaction to something in his environment such as a chew toy or anything plastic such as food or water bowls (unless they're stainless or ceramic).

3. He could have canine acne which involves irritation of the hair follicles although he's a little on the older side for this condition.

4. There are other possibilities such as ringworm or demodex mites but these lesions tend to be flatter and not raised.

As to treatment options, it's going to be difficult to advise you without a clearer understanding of what these bumps might be but you could gently clean his skin with dilute over the counter Betadine or Iodine (to the color of weak tea) twice a day which certainly won't be harmful.

I'll sometimes advise benzyol peroxide based gels or ointments if canine acne might be present but am hesitant to suggest it if this isn't the problem.

This certainly isn't an ER type of situation but if more develop or if the current lesions persist, then it might be a good idea to have your vet examine him.

I hope this helps although I'm sorry that I can't provide a more precise answer. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 12 months ago.

Hello again,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your dog. How is he doing? Are the spots on his lip worse or improving? Deb