Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

My dog sprained her leg I wanted to give her some aspirin

Customer Question

Customer: My dog sprained her leg I wanted to give her some aspirin and would like to know the proper dosage. She is twenty pounds.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: She was running, the ground was uneven, and she fell into a hole. This happened back on 12/29/15. I've checked there is nothing broken, her toes are fine, her nails, and pads are fine. I can bend her leg back. But she avoids putting weight on it. there does seem to be some inflammation underneath her left arm/shoulder area.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes take your time
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 10 months ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question.

How old is your dog?
What breed is she?

Does she put any pressure on that foot at all?

Is it a front leg or rear?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
She is a 9 year old schnauzer. She can walk evens runs sometimes but after any exercise she starts limping holding her paw up. It's the left front leg
Expert:  Lisa replied 10 months ago.

Awesome...and have you tried resting her at all yet?

Any swelling that you can notice?

Does it bother her if you press all around that leg?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
She rests virtually all day. Maybe a little swelling. I've poking and prodding trying to find the exact location of her pain. She lets me do it doesn't pull away or anything like that. Just sad eyes
Expert:  Lisa replied 10 months ago.

Great. Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

Just like in human medicine, we can't actually give you a dose of aspirin for your dog without an in person consult....however, I can direct you to a good spot to find that dose: http://www.walkervalleyvet.com/otc-meds.htm

Just make sure you only give aspirin...we never give products containing acetaminophen, ibuprofen or naproxen sodium to dogs because they're toxic even in small amounts.

That being said...if you don't see an improvement in the next week or so, since it's been almost a month, you might want to have the vet take a quick x-ray, just to rule out things like greenstick fractures or hairline fractures...just to be safe.

I hope this helps.

Expert:  Lisa replied 10 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Lisa