Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

I am attempting to treat a 110 lb Newfoundland UTI. Is

Customer Question

Customer: Hello, I am attempting to treat a 110 lb Newfoundland for a UTI. Is Cefuroxime safe and effective for UTI's and what dose do you recommend?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: She has urinary frequency and urgency with blood in the urine.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr B replied 10 months ago.

HI this is DRB and I would be happy to help you with this....give me a few minutes and I will calculate that dose for you. IN the mean time what size pills do you have ...I need the mg dose

Expert:  Dr B replied 10 months ago.

You would need to give 500 mg twice daily for 7-10 days. We typically don't use this drug in dogs, we usually use Cephalexin. But it should work just for a UTI. IF the clinical signs are not better in 2-3 days you should see your vet. But even if signs are better in that time frame make sure you finish all the medication. There are other diseases/problems that can present with blood in urine and frequency.....like stones and bladder cancer. So if she does not get better make sure to get her in to see your vet. I hope this helps you. Sincerely, DRB

Please hit rate my service as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you very much.

Expert:  Dr B replied 10 months ago.

Please let me know if you need additional help. Sincerely, DRB

Please hit rate my service as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you very much!

Expert:  Dr B replied 10 months ago.

I will check back with you in the am to see if you need additional help. Sincerely, DRB

Expert:  Dr B replied 10 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr B