Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

My dog ate carpet and pooped it out it was a big amount he

Customer Question

My dog ate carpet and pooped it out it was a big amount he popped out he's been acting normal but has had diarrhea for two days
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you,My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Do you know if everything he ate did come out in the stool?

Is he eating and drinking normally?

Was there any vomiting prior to this?

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, you may have gone offline so I will answer based on what you have stated in your question.

If the dog is not vomiting, is eating and drinking normally, as well as acting normally it may be intestinal upset due to eating a foreign item. What we do with intestinal upset is fast the dog from food for 24 hours, can have water, then start a bland diet of boiled chicken and cooked white rice. This will give the intestinal tract the time it needs to become less inflamed from the trauma of passing a non food item.

If the dog suddenly stops eating, is vomiting and the diarrhea continues it would be worrisome that there is still something foreign in the intestinal tract that the dog is not able to pass. This would require an x ray and possible surgery.

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Here is more on obstruction of the bowel

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/gastrointestinal-foreign-body-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He did poop out a large amount of string and has been acting normal since then just has diarrhea but he eats like usual and drinks water like usual so I will fast him for 24 hours he is still playing around and exploring the house like nothing is wrong
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

That is encouraging that everything else is normal. One thing to caution you about. Should you see any of the string /carpet stuck in rectum with a piece sticking out do not pull it. Seek vet help immediately. Keep watch for any of the other signs above as well.

I hope this has been helpful to you and your experience here was a pleasant one. Please don't forget to rate the service before you leave so the company compensates me for my time

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Bryce Grace,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Koda. How is everything going?
Sally G.