Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My 8 week old puppy had Parvo at 6.5 weeks - was

Customer Question

Customer: My 8 week old puppy had Parvo at 6.5 weeks - was hospitalized and treated. 3 days after coming home was not better- they then found coccidia. 5 days of albon and she was on the up and up. Then yesterday diarrhea again - today no appetite. Any suggestions?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Puppy is a Dogue De Bordeaux born 11/17/2015
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Today they put her on Endosorb and they said her fecal was clear. She was eating Blue Buffalo Freedom grain free puppy and I ordered Royal Canin Gastro but she has zero interest in either. She won't eat treats either. She weighed 12.4lbs at 6.5weeks and 17.4 lbs today. She gained but she's still very skinny for her size. Just curious if coccidia would be present in fecal or not - after she's been through so much they think it's her digestion needs a break but still she has no appetite this does not seem normal to me
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She will eat boiled chicken breast - after coccidia they told me to boil chicken and rice for a couple days but now that's all I can get her to eat....I have tried to put food out 10 minutes pick it up and she will not even sniff it for over 24 hours- put boiled chicken down she will eat 2 entire breasts in 1 sitting. Vet told me to only give her dog food but after 24 hours she was looking weak and lethargic :(
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

From my calculations, she's 18 days out from first being diagnosed with parvo and so that virus shouldn't be an issue at this time. I need you to clarify her treatment with Albon (sulfadimethoxine). If this antibiotic is used to address coccidia it needs to be administered for 2-3 weeks not 5 days. If 5 days is accurate, she may still be symptomatic from coccidia and she'll need at least a week more on the Albon or, preferably, the drug of choice for coccidia - ponazuril - will be prescribed. Two 3-day courses of ponazuril at 22.7 mg/lb daily are sometimes necessary for fecal flotation results to become negative in dogs with coccidiosis.

If she'll eat chicken, feed her chicken. It's more important that she eat the "wrong" thing at this time rather than not eat the "right" thing.

Please respond with additional information and further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much. Yes they prescribed just 5 days - she was still on her Metronidazole from the Parvo - I think though she had coccidia the entire time and only tested positive for Parvo b/c she had just had her vaccine 2 days before and when they came in they said she was slightly positive for Parvo...not sure I don't live in the best place for Vet care. Appreciate your help.

Ah! The new SNAP parvo test doesn't detect vaccine antigen in the feces. If she tested positive natural parvo was detected in her. In any event, let's either get her back on sulfadimethoxine or initiate ponazuril therapy. You should see a demonstrable improvement when the coccidia are truly eliminated. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?