PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

Theresa, What do you feed a 6 year old female Yorkie with

Customer Question

Theresa, What do you feed a 6 year old female Yorkie with only 4 teeth?
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 year ago.

Good evening, Alicia. I'm sorry, but the expert you were hoping to reach is not currently available. I am here to assist you in their absence.

Your choices are wide for what you can feed her. Many dogs like to remain on kibble and even those dogs with no teeth will continue to eat kibble with gusto (they simply don't chew). If you have other dogs in the home and this is easier, you can most certainly continue with this or even moisten the kibble with water, allow it to sit for a few minutes to become soggy and then allow her to eat her food normally. You can also feed canned food, if you wish, which is much easier to give to dogs who have few teeth. If she has underlying organ issues, such as kidney problems, feeding a moist food is typically recommended.

In general, there is no food that's better than any other in preventing dental problems, but having her teeth checked every year to be sure they're still doing well is recommended. Many vets still recommend using chews (like CET dental chews) to allow the dogs to work off the buildup that accumulates on their teeth. It will take her longer to get through a chew like this, but still recommended if she enjoys chewing. Other options are bully sticks and other chews that have soft, rounded edges that won't harm her gums.

If you'd like a specific recommendation, please let me know what you'd like to offer your companion as far as a food goes (do you prefer organic? grain free? something under X dollars per bag? Something breed-specific?) and I'll be happy to recommend one for you.

If my answer has satisfied your question, please take the time to leave positive feedback for me. This is how experts are compensated for their time with each customer. If questions remain, please reply and I will help you further.