Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My puggle was bitten by my akita on s head and bleeding. My

Customer Question

My puggle was bitten by my akita on his head and bleeding. My 10 year old Akita-female was chewing on her bone and my 10 year old puggle-male tried to get the bone away from my akita. His whole head was in my akita's mouth. When I finally got them loose nothing wrong with my akita, my puggle was bleeding profusely from his nose. I put cold compresses lightly on the bridge of his nose. It stops then he sneezes and it starts bleeding again
Category: Dog
Expert:  BestFriendsVet replied 10 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Vaino. Nose bleeds are called epistaxis. Fortunately, this seems to be due to trauma (there are way more serious causes for epistaxis), which means it likely will heal. The problem is that the mucus membranes inside the nasal passage are very sensitive and will bleed for quite some time. I would get him to relax as much as possible (get his blood pressure down, not up!) and see if you can lay him on his side or even his back and tilt his head back a bit. put pressure on his little nostrils with some cotton balls or gauze. It will stop eventually. I would keep him calm for hours, though. Yes, a sneeze will set it off again. But like I said, the bleeding will stop. Worst case scenario, if he's bleeding badly, still, in a few hours, you may need to call your vet. But I think you can get this stopped yourself if you follow what I just recommended. Good luck and feel free to respond with additional concerns