Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

I just noticed that my dog have a quarter sized lump on her

Customer Question

I just noticed that my dog have a quarter sized lump on her right hock. It seems somewhat hard in nature.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The lump is not warm to the touch and my she does not appear to be in pain when it is pressed/touched.
Expert:  BestFriendsVet replied 10 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Vaino. Is the lump moveable? Does it feel attached to deeper tissue or does it freely move on its own? Is is haired or has it lost the hair? Is she bothered by it (licking it) even though I read that you pressed it and she didn't seem in pain?

If it's haired and moveable/nonpainful, it may be that it's been there for some time and you've just noticed it now (which isn't uncommon for owners). As a general rule of thumb, cancerous lumps/masses tend to grow quickly (ie. double or triple in size in a matter of a month or two), sometimes lose the hair on them, and sometimes become ulcerated (sore/open wound in the center). Benign things (noncancerous) tend to form slowly and stay the same size over long periods of time. I'd become concerned if she begins licking it, if it gets big fast or painful, and especially if she starts to become lame in that limb.