Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog has chronic bronchitis and I an to know apart from

Customer Question

My dog has chronic bronchitis and I an to know apart from the puffer and antibiotics is there a cough medicine I can give him to relieve his throat
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 10 months ago.

Hello Karen,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Karen,

Sorry to hear about Bully's problems, however I have worked out an answer for you ...

1. In terms of over the counter meds you might consider a human cough syrup containing Dextromethorphan, This is marketed under such names as Robitussin or Benylin but make sure Dextromethorphan is the only ingredient because some formulations also contain codeine or pseudoephedrine which can be harmful to dogs.

2. This drug has been used in the past to help dogs with chronic bronchitis { See link below }

3. A typical dose would be 1 mg per pound of your dog's bodyweight given three times a day.

4. Where I give owners advice about drugs or dose rate I like to provide a link so they can check the accuracy of my advice and read more detailed information on the topic : LINK

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Benadryl can't be used??

Hello again Karen,

Benadryl can help to calm your dog down as it does have slight sedative properties in the dog and if your dog's condition is allergy related then again it could help. However given what you have told me so far I think your best bet would be the Robitussin.

Link to Benadryl use in the dog : LINK

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Karen,

I am just checking back in to see how Bully is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the drug possibilities for chronic bronchitis ...

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.