Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

I am reading about puppy swallowing a squeaker.
, Our 5

Customer Question

Customer: I am reading about puppy swallowing a squeaker.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Our 5 month old labradoodle, about 40 lbs, just ripped a chew toy and swallowed the squeaker before I was able to retrieve it out of his mouth.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 10 months ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question today. Just like an in person consult, I have some questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible....

How long ago did he eat it?

Do you have any idea how big the squeaker was?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
About 20 min ago
About the size of a quarter
Expert:  Lisa replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

I suspect that it'll pass through with no problems at all. Normally we don't suggest inducing vomiting because the chance of it getting stuck on the way out or the dog aspirating abdominal fluids into the lungs is too high to validate the risk.

So I'd feed him extra for the next couple days and monitor him when he's going out to defecate. Once you see the squeaker, or parts of the squeaker in the feces, you'll be out of the woods.

Until then, keep an eye on him for vomiting or attempting to vomit with no success, attempting to defecate with no success, anorexia, lethargy or any other 'unusual' behaviors. If you see anything like that, then you need to have him seen by a vet immediately as these are all signs of an intestinal obstruction, which is fatal if left untreated. However, most times these squeakers pass through...but keep an eye until you see it make it's way out.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
While waiting on response, I called emergency vet and she requested I induce vomiting. Squeaker came up.
Expert:  Lisa replied 10 months ago.

Great!

Expert:  Lisa replied 10 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Lisa