Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have owned, bred and shown dogs for over 40 years.
60411192

Dog congestion - my two shih tsus
, They both have

Customer Question

Customer: Dog congestion - my two shih tsus
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Scott They both have allergies whn we have warmer winters - is there any safe nasal relief spray for them?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 10 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry that your dogs are congested. There are safe otc products which can be used in dogs which I'll list below. You might also consider oral Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) which can help to dry up secretions such that they might not be as congested. Sedation is a commonly seen side effect of anti-histamines, though. The dose would be 1 mg per pound of body weight twice a day.

The medicated products (a-c below) should only be used for three days in a row, with one drop in each nostril; otherwise what’s known as a rebound effect may occur. This is one reason why I prefer "d":

a. Pediatric otrivin-0.05% xylometazoline

b. “Little Noses" Decongestant Nose Drops with phenylephrine hydrochloride
c. Afrin (oxymetazoline)

d. "Little Noses" Saline Spray/Drops non medicated which can be used more than three days in a row or as long as necessary since it's saline.

I hope this helps and that they receive relief soon. Deb

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have used saline and that doesn't really help them. So can I use just one drop of Afrin per day for them ?
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 10 months ago.

Hello Scott,

Yes, you can use Afrin, one drop in each nostril, but only use it for three days in a row. It may provide temporary relief, if it works at all (it doesn't in every patient).

By the way, if you have additional questions about this particular issue, you don't have to post a new question each time. You can just reply to this message. Customer service has closed your other two questions so you shouldn't be charged for them.

Sorry for any confusion with the site. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 10 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Deb
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 10 months ago.

Hello again, Scott.

I'm just following up on your dogs. How are they doing? Deb