Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

I have a 6 year old, spayed bluetick/ redbone cross. I think

Customer Question

I have a 6 year old, spayed bluetick/ redbone cross. I think she may have perivulvar dermatitis. She's been displaying some excessive licking and the area around her vulva is quite irritated. I think the skin seems thickened in the fold directly above the vulva but she is apprehensive to let me see what's going on back there. I'm wondering if there is anything I can do here at home to help while I wait to get her into the vet's office?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 10 months ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

There are some things that can be done. One is be sure to clean the area with an antibacterial wipe especially after she eliminates which it seems like you may have been doing. You will want to keep the area clean and dry. Benzoyl Peroxide wipes are also effective for cleaning the folds as well and to keep bacteria in the area down. You should apply miconazole cream to help clear the dermatitis if it is yeast type dermatitis. A yeast dermatitis can cause itchiness so a dog wants to lick the area to effectively scratch it. The miconazole cleam helps with that part of the issue where an antibiotic cream would not.

You can read about skin fold dermatitis here:

http://www.recoverysa.com/dermatitis_pro.htm

https://www.acvs.org/small-animal/vulvar-fold-dermatitis

If your girl is overweight, getting your dog's weight down will also help as being overweight does contribute to the amount of skin folds in the area.

You should also have her checked for a urinary tract infection since bacteria can travel up the urethra and lead to a UTI. Common symptoms of a urinary tract infection are frequent urination, dribbling urine, blood in the urine, squatting frequently to urinate, strong odor to the urine, inappropriate urination and straining to urinate as well as an increase in fluid intake. Excessive licking can also be a symptom. A dog with a UTI does not always show all the symptoms and typically displays 2 or 3.

I do believe that the miconazole cream (available at many pharmacies) should help with the itchiness and the yeast dermatitis and help ease the problem until you can have her seen.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer so I am compensated for my time.

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may click here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well.

Since there have been recalls on certain foods, please check the following site to be sure the food your animals eat is not affected. If it is affected, contact your vet as soon as possible. Have your dog seen if they have any symptoms.

http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/SafetyHealth/RecallsWithdrawals/

Hi Jen,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Penny. How is everything going?