PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My dog has a liver problem and she got her knee hurt what

Customer Question

My dog has a liver problem and she got her knee hurt what can i give her for pain
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 year ago.

Good morning, Ana. Thanks for your question.

There's always a concern for dogs with liver concerns to take NSAID's and pain medication. Unfortunately, you're likely going to have to go to your vet for this one. Depending on the severity of her liver compromise, this will determine if she's able to take NSAID's at all. That being said, it's common for vets to skip using NSAID's and just use medications like Tramadol or opiate analgesic drugs to help keep pain tolerable for those dogs with liver concerns. These are often used at lower doses that normal because liver dysfunction can slow metabolism of these drugs, causing longer lasting effects per dose.

If my answer has helped you, please take the time to leave positive feedback for me. This is how the website compensates Experts for their assistance to customers like yourself. If questions remain, please reply and I will help you further.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Snowie. How is everything going?
PitRottMommy