Anna
Anna, Dog Expert, Biologist
Experience:  35 years training & showing dogs. Written articles for Dog Fancy, Dogs, Dog World.
6012901

My dog has a swollen neck he is 7years old hair duchshund he

Customer Question

My dog has a swollen neck he is 7years old long hair duchshund he did have an infection about 6 months ago
Category: Dog
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in canine health. I'm sorry to hear Mac is having this problem. Some additional information will be useful. What type of infection did he have six months ago, and how was it treated? Is the swollen area under his chin and on both sides? Are there any other symptoms, such as appetite loss or lethargy? Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the swollwn area is under his chin no appetite loss i did switch his food to no wheat corn or soy i dont know what type of infection i thinking it was food he is not lethargy he was treated with an anticbiotic
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for getting back to me. I'm working on your answer and will post it as soon as I have it typed up. I'll be back shortly.

Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for waiting.

There are two common causes of swollen lymph glands in dogs. One is infection. Usually the lymph glands closest to the site of infection will swell. With swelling of the glands in the neck, infection is likely to be present in the throat or in an abscessed tooth. If an infection is causing your dog's throat to be sore, he would lose his appetite. Lethargy is common with any infection. However, the infection 6 months ago probably is not responsible for this swelling since it was treated with antibiotics. This could be a new infection. Lymphoma -cancer of the lymph glands- is the other common cause of swollen glands. Even if that is what this turns out to be, cancer treatment in dogs has progressed a great deal in the last few years. You can read more about swollen glands at this site:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1614&articleid=319

Because this has the potential to be serious, you will need veterinary treatment regardless of whether your dog has an infection or lymphoma. A vet will need to examine Mac to determine what is wrong, and how best to treat it. If you have more questions, let me know in a REPLY. I hope Mac will have a simple infection that can be easily treated.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!

Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. I'm just checking on your dog. Have you been able to see your vet yet?