Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog vomited several times Sunday and Monday and hasn't

Customer Question

My dog vomited several times Sunday and Monday and hasn't eaten since she is very lethargic and had a fever, high wbc count, and anemic
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. John replied 10 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I do have a couple of questions to see if I can better assess your situation.

Is she still vomiting?

Is she drinking water?

Did your vet take any x-rays?

Do you know the values of her WBC, HCT and platelets?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hasn't vomited since Monday morning, yes drinking water, x rays were clean, originally they worried of a swollen spleen but ultra sound was good.

Thanks for the information. Neither the WBC count nor anemia seem severe. They are both mild, but it does suggest a chronic inflammatory response. A normal x-ray and ultrasound most likely rule out a GI foreign body, that is not 100%. There is still a small possibility. I may be more concerned about a lesion in the gastrointestinal tract, which can be hard to find with an ultrasound and impossible to see with an x-ray. An ulcerative lesion, viral lesion, inflammatory bowel disease or even lymphoma are possible. At this point, the next step would be gastrointestinal endoscopy or exploratory surgery. I personally would want to do endoscopy first because it is far less invasive and biopsies of the inner stomach and intestinal lining can be taken. I am not sure who did the ultrasound, but if it wasn't a board certified veterinary radiologist or even an internist, I may pursue a recheck of that as well. Some things can be difficult to find on an ultrasound if there hasn't been more specific training on it. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.