Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

I am interested in adopting a rescue puppy who is 10 weeks

Customer Question

I am interested in adopting a rescue puppy who is 10 weeks old. I was told the pup was surrendered to the rescue because it was peeing blood. The pup is a male. The rescue said it was diagnosed as a urinary tract infection. My concern is any kidney issues. I am concerned that this pup has some type of issue. How would I know?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

The most common cause for a dog to urinate blood is a urinary tract infection. If the pup has been treated and is no longer urinating blood, then it shouldn't be a problem. However, many rescues will allow you a home visit with the pup for a couple of days before an adoption is finalized. See it they will do that and have a vet visit scheduled for that time period. Try to make it for the first day you have the pup to allow time for the results of testing. I would recommend doing that with any dog you plan on adopting. Not only will the pup get a clean bill of health if it is healthy, but you will have an idea of what behavioral issues you might be looking at as well.

I love the larger breeds like this one so it would be best to ensure he has no problems before you adopt and become attached to him.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer so I am compensated for my time.

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may click here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well.

Since there have been recalls on certain foods, please check the following site to be sure the food your animals eat is not affected. If it is affected, contact your vet as soon as possible. Have your dog seen if they have any symptoms.

http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/SafetyHealth/RecallsWithdrawals/