Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I am ***** *****. My 15 year old border collie was treated

Customer Question

Customer: Hello, I am ***** *****. My 15 year old border collie was treated for severe bladder infection with antibiotic. Now he will not let me open his mouth and he is not eating. Was wondering if he developed yeast infection in his mouth. Have not been able to reach his vet.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Overall lethargy. not eating. pain in mouth area.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your Border collie. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Yeast infections are not common in dog mouths, and when they do occur, they can still open their mouths, and usually still eat. Can he open his mouth at all? Is he able to at least drink?

Mouth pain in older dogs can be caused by a tumor in the mouth, infected teeth, and a condition called MMM (masticory muscle myositis) where the muscles of chewing are painful and it is impossible to open the mouth more than an inch because the muscles get so tight.

If he can't drink at all, he is in danger of dehydration. If he can drink, I would start him on pain medication (by mouth if I could, by injection if I couldn't), test him for MMM if it seems like that is what he might have (there is a blood test, and the treatment is steroids). If he can't drink, I would start him on supplemental fluids.

If you check his gums are they pink in color? Can you take his temperature?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

How is your dog doing?