Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My name is ***** ***** and my dog Aspen is bleeding from s

Customer Question

Customer: hello my name is ***** ***** and my dog Aspen is bleeding from his penis..
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I noticed some blood drops on floors and first checked his paws and then was looking around his stomache and penis area and when I moved his penis I saw some blood oozine out when pressed a little
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Pet Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 10 months ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 15-20 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

Is your boy neutered?

How old is you guy?

I don't want you to worry so let me give you some information on the bleeding. Bleeding from the penis could indicate an injury to the penis, a prostrate problem, blood in the urine or be a sign that there is a female in heat around.

Blood in the urine can signal a few different things such as a Urinary tract infection, kidney problem or an injury. However, it is not unusual for an intact male dog to shed a few drops of blood from his penis when he is aware of females in heat. So if the bleeding is just a few drops, then you do not need to worry about it. If it is a larger amount or your dog is neutered, you will want to have your dog examined by your vet.

As I mentioned, if he is neutered, then he may have a uti. Common symptoms of a urinary tract infection are frequent urination, dribbling urine, blood in the urine, squatting frequently to urinate, strong odor to the urine, inappropriate urination and straining to urinate as well as an increase in fluid intake. A dog with a UTI does not always show all the symptoms and typically displays 2 or 3. I .

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer so I am compensated for my time.

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may click here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well.

Since there have been recalls on certain foods, please check the following site to be sure the food your animals eat is not affected. If it is affected, contact your vet as soon as possible. Have your dog seen if they have any symptoms.

http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/SafetyHealth/RecallsWithdrawals/

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?