Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My 16 yr old dog had a accident in the house.. no big deal

Customer Question

Customer: My 16 yr old dog had a accident in the house.. no big deal but noticed blood in her urine. She has been somewhat restless lately, running in and out without going. Have not noticed that she strains at all. Debating if I should run her into the e-vet since my regular vet is closed today.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: She is 16 female dachshund in pretty good health otherwise.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: how long do you expect? I do need to jump in the shower.. so longer or shorter than about 15 min?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 11 months ago.

Hi Jacustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

At her age I would definitely have her seen as soon as you can. As long as she is able to urinate even if it is a tiny amount, it is usually not considered an emergency but if you have another vet, you might take her there and save the "emergency" charges.

There are many causes of blood in the urine but a urinary tract infection is the most common one. Common symptoms of a urinary tract infection are frequent urination, dribbling urine, blood in the urine, squatting frequently to urinate, strong odor to the urine, inappropriate urination and straining to urinate as well as an increase in fluid intake. I believe you need to have your Vet check your dog out so it can get medication for the problem.

It is also possible that bladder stones, or a prostate infection or a bleeding disorder may be the cause. Your Vet should check those possibilities out as well.

A dog with a UTI does not always show all the symptoms and typically displays 2 or 3. Blood in the urine can be caused urinary stones, Cystitis, Kidney Disease, Bladder Cancer, or Urinary Bacterial Infections and with her being elderly kidney issues are a good possibility.

Urinary Stones are common and found in the kidneys, bladder and urethra though usually they are in the bladder. The formation of crystals or stones in urinary tract can be caused by the following factors usually working together: mineral crystals in the urine, bacteria, diseases, some medications, excess Vitamin C, imbalance in pH of urine. Typical symptoms are straining to urinate, frequent urination of small amounts and blood in the urine. Some breeds are known to have problems with stones. These are Miniature Schnauzer, Schnauzer, Lhasa Apso, Shih Tzu, Bichon Frise, Miniature poodle, and Yorkshire terrier.

Cystitis is when your dog's bladder becomes inflamed. It is believed that infections, polyps, tumors and stones contribute to this condition, but the actual cause is unclear. Typical symptoms are straining to urinate, frequent urination, straining to urinate, difficulty urinating and blood in the urine.

Kidney Disease is a common cause of non-accidental death in dogs. It is not clear what causes kidney disease but it is believed that dehydration, blood loss, impaired heart function, tumors, infections and toxins contribute to it. Some medications for kidney disease may cause blood in the urine.

Bladder cancer occurs in middle-aged and older dogs. Bladder cancer is not as common as other causes such as Urinary tract infections, though it is not recognized early for that same reason. Typical symptoms are frequent urination, urinating small amounts, blood in the urine, and infections.

Urinary bacterial infections can occur in bladder (most common), kidneys, urethra, and prostate. They are easily treated once diagnosed. They are the major cause of the prostate disease in male dogs. The prostate becomes inhabited by bacterial and it becomes difficult to eliminate. Some other conditions such as diabetes, cancer and viral diseases affect a dog’s immune system and may contribute to this condition.

So I would go haead and have her seen but not necessarily at an emergency vet. I'd look for an alternative vet that is open today.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer so I am compensated for my time.

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may click here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well.

Since there have been recalls on certain foods, please check the following site to be sure the food your animals eat is not affected. If it is affected, contact your vet as soon as possible. Have your dog seen if they have any symptoms.

http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/SafetyHealth/RecallsWithdrawals/

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
She doesn't strain to go and pretty normal amount. But she has been restless, going to the out and just wondering around but not going. Would that be a sign of stones or anything other than a UI?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Also some days she eats and other not.. would that be related?

Her loss of appetite might be related to kidney dysfunction. Here is a site that discusses kidney failure and the symptoms.

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/kidneys-bladder-urinary-system/chronic-renal-kidney-failure-in-dogs

Elderly dogs often do have kidney issues especially one as elderly as your girl is. If she didn't have the bleeding then I might also suspect cognitive dysfunction syndrome which is like alzheimers. That can cause symptoms like a break in house training, asking to go out and not eliminating or asking to come in and wanting out right away. So it is not out of the question that she may have a few things occurring, but a urinalysis will need to be done to determine if it is an infection or crystals/stones or some other issue. Your vet may also want bloodwork as well since she is a senior. The difference between stones and infection are not that apparent and testing is needed to figure that out.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I was looking for more than I could on the internet.. Thank you

Unfortunately, almost everything can be found on the internet if you know how to look for it. No diagnosis is possible without testing. About the only thing you might do in the meantime that might help until you get her seen would be to add a little cranberry juice to the water. It tends to help change the ph of urine and often provides a little relief until they are seen. Not sure what else I could tell you without running tests. It sounded like you were basically asking whether it was an emergency situation or not which I do not think it is since she is able to urinate but I would have her seen as soon as you can.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?