Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Peke CHF is it treatable?

Customer Question

Peke CHF is it treatable?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 11 months ago.

Hello Jim,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Jim

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. The situation is this Congestive Cardiac Failure in smaller dogs like Pekes is almost always caused by degeneration of the valves in the heart. A cure as such would not be possible except by heart valve replacement but this is rarely carried out.

2. But that said the diseases can be treated as various classes of drugs will compensate for the CHF and help with the symptoms. Many dogs in the early stages of CHF go on for may months of even years of normal life with the correct drug regime. Of course it is progressive disease so in the end the drugs will be ineffective. Drugs such as diuretics and ACE-inhibitors { Enalapril } are commonly used and weight loss moderate exercise and special diets can also help to some degree.

3. Here is a link to an accurate article which covers CHF in the dog in more detail : LINK

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks. All done.

No problem, very glad to have advised you. Please get back to me if you would like to talk this over more ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 10 months ago.

Hello again Jim,

I am just checking back in to see how Izza is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the CHF

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.