Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

My dog dr ank mazola oil and is throwing up what should I

Customer Question

My dog dr ank mazola oil and is throwing up what should I do.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question today. Just like an in person consult, I have a few questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible...

Do you know how much he drank?

How long ago did it happen?

How often has he been vomiting?

How much does your dog weigh?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He drank about 4oz.
It happened about 2 hr agoTroup 3 time
He is 13 pounds
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is care right now
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Great. Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

The good news is that he didn't drink much and he is purging his system by vomiting. This is good because it will keep him from having diarrhea (although he still may have a little) or developing pancreatitis.

If this were my dog, I'd fast him for 24 hours (providing he doesn't have any underlying diseases such as diabetes that require he eat every few hours). No treats, no food, nothing. You can leave a small amount of water available, but don't allow him to drink too much at one time (placing ice cubes in his bowl so that he can't gulp water will help).

After the 24 hours, I'd offer a bland diet of boiled rice and boiled hamburger (3 parts rice to 1 part burger) in VERY small amounts (perhaps 1/4 c every hour or so) for the next 24 hours. Once you start feeding the rice mixture, monitor the dog for recurring vomiting or new diarrhea. If the problem doesn't start again, you can begin slowly mix in his kibble over the next few days until you're back to just kibble.

If the vomiting doesn't stop, or if he becomes lethargic, anorexic or any other symptoms, then you should have him seen by an emergency vet immediately. If you're not sure where one is near you, you can go to: http://www.vetlocator.com and plug in your zip code. They'll point you in the direction of the one nearest to you.

I hope this helps.

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Hi Freddrick,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Pztrick. How is everything going?
Lisa