Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

Myvdog ate a ham bone that I had used to make soup and

Customer Question

Myvdog ate a ham bone that I had used to make soup and apparently threw up all night.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 11 months ago.

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you.

Did he vomit up the ham bone itself?

Was there meat on the ham bone?

Is he interested in any food today and able to hold it down or have you not tried dog food yet?

Has there been any diarrhea?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi, and I can't really tell, besides his dinner, which was on my bed when I woke up, what it is he's throwing up. Mostly clear and pink. I cannot find the bone but can't imagine he ate it? It had small bits of ham on the end after I took it from the soup pot. I let Elvis finish my cereal milk, about 2or 3 tbsp mixed with a tiny amount a of cereal. He ate it enthusiastically and seems to have kept it down. No diarrhea yet.

Thank you. There are a couple of concerns. The first would be where is the bone, and did the ham on the bone give him a bout of pancreatitis? Pacreatitis will show vomiting, eventually diarrhea, lethargy and fever. A severe case would warrant Vet attention so keep an eye on him very closely.

The second concern is did he eat the bone. If he ate the bone then it can cause a blockage of the intestines, or it could have splintered on the way down and punctured the intestinal tract. A blockage would show vomiting, lack of appetite, diarrhea, and lethargy. This may require surgery so I would really want to know where that bone is.

The milk is not very digestible to dogs that too can cause nausea so you are looking at a few things of possibility.

If he has not eaten his regular meal yet do not feed him until tomorrow night. See if he can hold that down. It may be the ham just upset his stomach enough to make him vomit but did not cause pancreatitis so keep an eye on him for the symptoms above that I mentioned

If he seems to get worse through the night I might consider an ER Vet. Keep an eye on his gums if they go pale or white see a Vet.

Try very hard to find that bone as well. this will tell you if he was able to snatch a piece or two off of it which could also be the problem

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you. I'll keep my eye on him.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
try to find that damn bone!

You are very welcome. I hope this has been helpful to you and your experience here was a pleasant one. Please don't forget to rate the service before you leave so the company compensates me for my time