Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I have a 4 month old Maltese, he runs and plays but staggers

Customer Question

I have a 4 month old Maltese , he runs and plays but staggers and stumbles . I have him on nutracal and Karo syrup for hypoglycemia this all started 3 days ago suddenly after running and jumping?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Presley. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Does giving the Nutrical and Karo seem to help? If these are episodes of hypoglycemia, it should help at least for a little while.

I would check his gum color when he staggers and stumbles. If his gums appear pale when this happens, it could be hypoglycemia but also could be a heart problem.

If he were mine, I would measure his blood sugar, to see if it is low. I would listen to his heart and lungs, and check his pulses to see if there is an irregular heart beat. I would also check his reflexes to see if this could be a neurologic problem, like water on the brain (hydrocephalus) which can be seen in the small breeds.

Let me know what else I can help with or answer. Rebecca

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Im so scared about this, Presley also seems to be
shifting weight to right side. Then runs and plays
just fine , this is very confusing!
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Akso head tilt to right !!?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.

Yes, it is scary to see a young puppy with problems like this.

The head tilt is not expected with hypoglycemia. A heat tilt can indicate a problem in the right ear (if he tilts to the right). If he were my dog, aving his ear examined with an otoscope (you can't see the ear drum without a scope) is one of the first things I would do. I would test the reflexes in each leg to see if there is a difference in the legs on his right side compared with the left. I would listen to his heart, feel his pulses, check to see if the "soft spot" on his head closed when he was younger or is still open. I would look to see if his pupils are the same size, if his gums are pink, and if his pulses are regular.

Another thing I would check for is a liver shunt, an internal condition that can affect his nervous system.

Something is not right. This might be hypoglycemia, but you should get him checked out. There are many possible causes of his problems and the sooner you find out what the problem is the sooner you will know the best way to treat him. Let me know what other questions you have, and if you found my answer to be helpful. Rebecca

Expert:  Rebecca replied 10 months ago.

How is Presley doing?