Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

Dog aggression towards a recently adopted partially blind/

Customer Question

Customer: Dog aggression towards a recently adopted partially blind/ deaf dog (double merle). BOTH want to be Alphas, but our 1st dog 'seems jealous', and I Know it is not proper to 'humanize' their reactions. But, *sometimes* they will lie on the sofa together. Sometimes our 1st dog attacks the double merle (who Can hear and see... but, is disabled).
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The double merle (New dog), tends to give no 'warning'. In other words, he ends up caught 'offguard', due to partial blindness and deafness. At 1st, we thought our 1st dog was trying to Force this behavior. Yet it continues. Our 1st dog will just... 'Go for him'. They are separated and I have some dog training in my background, but due to the complexity, I cannot figure out what to do, other than what I was told to do by my ex Mother-in-Law (Dog trainer).
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Sure.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 11 months ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

Can you give me some names to go with each dog and identify which one is new (partially bind and deaf)?

So do you have two double merle dogs?

What sex and reproductive status are they?

What did your ex mother-in-law tell you to do?

Can you tell me what was going on when the "attacks" happened?

How long have you had each dog?