Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My cocker has swelling in her neck below the jaw and middle

Customer Question

My cocker has swelling in her neck below the jaw and middle of her throat
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 11 months ago.

Good evening, Cindy. I am so sorry that Palmer is having issues. Can you give me a little more information on what's going on? All that we see on this side is that she has a swelling in her neck below the jaw line. I have some additional questions for you:

1) When did this start?

2) What medications have been used so far, please be as descript as you can with names, dosages and frequency.

3) Have you seen any changes?

4) Has your vet performed a fine needle aspirate to see what's in the swelling?

5) Is this area causing her any pain?

This additional info will help me to give you the most concise answer.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I. Noticed it last Wednesday. She was on cefelexin for 7 days finished yesterday. An non steroid anti Inflammatory for 5 days. It gt better but tonight it looks a little bigger. She is a show dog an has a show in 2wks. Not sure if I should put a lead on her or. To. No pain eats an acts normal. I don't know if when I was grooming her if she hurt her neck with the noose. It is mid line and off to the right side.

Do you have a picture to share so I can see what you're seeing?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I don't.

Let's proceed without a picture then.

If she's improved on antibiotics, but the area has not gone away entirely, I would contact your vet and ask them to continue the regimen of both antibiotics and the NSAIDs. Depending on what is causing this, and if it's responding to antibiotics it's likely to be infectious, it's best not to place a lead around her throat. You may be able to snug it up against her jawline if it's a few inches below where you'd have a lead. I'm afraid this may impede her show in two weeks unless a drastic improvement is made. It would be safer to ensure that this is cleared than for it to cause her problems longer because of an irritation.