Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog is pregnant and I think about 58 days, thus morning

Customer Question

My dog is pregnant and I think about 58 days, thus morning at about 3 am she became very restless, whining, shivering and will not eat or drink. Now she's just laying down trying to sleep but panting and drooling quite a bit. There have been no signs of her water breaking or puppies. I am getting concerned, can you tell me if this is normal.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. John replied 11 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. All of these signs are potentially due to her going into labor. It may help if you can take a rectal temperature on her. If it is below 100 F, then she is most likely about to go into labor. Watch for any contractions as well. You won't really see a water break in dogs like you do in humans, so I wouldn't be looking for that. When she started to go into labor, you will see contractions. If her temperature is above 100, I would recheck it tomorrow morning. If still above 100, but she is showing the same signs, I would have your vet check her out. If below 100, then I would expect puppies within 36 hours. If it goes past that time, then your vet needs to check her out. If you notice that she is having hard contractions for more than 30 minutes without any puppies, has a puppy stuck for more than 15 minutes, has a very bloody discharge from the vulva, has a very bad smelling discharge from the vulva, having bloody stools or is vomiting a lot; she needs to be seen by a vet immediately. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
She has been having what looks like and feels like contractions since early this morning. When I have looked things up it looks like it is a fast process so I was getting worried. I will check her temp though.

She may have some mild contractions in the first stage of labor. They may come on and off, so that wouldn't be too much of a concern. My concern would be more with strong contractions. Let me know if you have further concerns.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I got a temp and it's 98.3. I triple checked with 2 different thermometers. Is that ok?

At that temperature, I would expect her to go into labor within 36 hours. Judging by her signs, it will probably come sooner than that. Hope this helps.

Hi Kristl,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John