Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

A 20 lb dog ate 10 mg Ambien Please advise

Customer Question

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 11 months ago.

Hello Linda,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Linda

I have worked out an answer for you ...

1. If a dog has swallowed the Ambien (zolpidem) then what we would expect to see would be mild sedation at dose levels of around 0.2 mg/kg and then an excitement phase at higher dose levels of say around 0.6 mg/kg or higher. { strange I know }

2. In your case Mutt weighs 9.09 kg { 20 pounds } and he took a 10 mg ambien, this works out at 1.1 mg/kg so you will almost certainly see symptoms of some sort. But on the plus side while there are no guarantees the good news is that deaths related to Ambien toxicity in dogs are very rare indeed even with much larger doses than your dog took.

3. One of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your dog sick immediately and try recover the drug that way, If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion { Two hours at the absolute outside } then things should be OK . For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK

Other than inducing vomiting or taking your dog to an ER vet all you can hope to do is to support your dog while the drug naturally works it's way out of his system as it will do in 24 - 48 hours.

4. But if you fail to induce vomiting and serious symptoms do set in or you become further concerned then you should have your dog checked over by an ER vet without delay.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again Linda,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Ambien ...

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.