Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog is whining and keeps looking at her nd quarters. She

Customer Question

my dog is whining and keeps looking at her hind quarters. She is expecting but we're not quite sure of her due date. She had an X-ray from the vet they thought it would be another week for delivery but she started this a little yesterday and it has increased more tonight. Just trying to see if it's pre-labor
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.

There are two clues for determining if whelping is imminent. The first is a drop in body temperature below 100F. Please take her rectal temperature; any body thermometer will do when placed 1.5" into her rectum for 1 minute. Normal is 100.5-102.5. Under 100F suggests whelping within 24 hours but that shouldn't be taken as gospel. The second is her appetite. I expect a dog to eat half of its regular intake on the day prior to whelping and stop eating on the day of whelping. Please let me know what you find out.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?