Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

Thank you. My 10 year old dog Butch has been diagnosed with

Customer Question

Thank you. My 10 year old dog Butch has been diagnosed with lymphoma. Gabapentin 100 mg along with prednisone 20mg has been prescribed every 24 hrs. My last dog who had cancer of the spleen was given Tramadol for pain control. That was in 2013. Is this newer combination of gabapentin and prednisone as effective for pain control?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

Tramadol is starting to fall out of favor for pain relief in dogs. Over the last 1-2 years, I've been transitioning over to Gabapentin as well. I find that it gives better pain relief and less of the sedation side effects compared to Tramadol. I still use Tramadol, but I'll go with higher doses than I used to and more frequent dosing. I now go 5 mg per kg (2.5 mg/lb) every 8 hours.

For a lymphoma dog, I would absolutely go with Pred + Gaba as opposed to Pred + Tramadol. I think the results will be better for Butch. Dosing of Gaba is also fairly wide. Anywhere from 3-10 mg/kg (1.5-5 mg/lb) every 8-12 hours. I usually go somewhere in the 5-10 mg/kg every 12 hours to start.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much. I now have some peace of mind that Butch's pain will be better controlled. I know the time is coming to let go but as long as he is comfortable we can now take this one day at a time with less worry and stress over pain control. Thank you again for your support of this treatment regimen.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome.

Also, if Gaba is not enough, you can add Tramadol to it. It's uncommon to need that, but they are very safe to use together.