Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My Sharpei, 7 year old, has nasal congestion. I gave m a

Customer Question

Customer: My Sharpei, 7 year old, has nasal congestion. I gave him a half of pill of Sudefed this morning. I have given him Benadryl as advised by the Vet, but the benadryl I have did not list nasal decongestion. Wanna know if this is okay and how much can I give it.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My dog has allergies. He is having a hard time breathing. I can tell he is congested. I have given him Benadry before, but gave one half of a pill of Sudafed. I would like to treat him as he goes through this. Is Sudafed okay? Is Benadryl better? I would give him one Benadryl last year when he had a problem with itching, but was not sure about the Sudafed.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.

We have to be careful when dosing decongestants orally to dogs. Sudafed contains the decongestant pseudoephedrine; it can be dosed at 0.7 mg/lb 2-3 times daily. There are 30 mg of pseudoephedrine in a tablet - enough to treat a 43 lb dog. Overdoses of this drug can cause hyperthermia, mydriasis (wide open pupils), tachycardia (rapid heart rate), hypertension, vomiting, disorientation, and seizures.

Benadryl (diphenhydramine) is an antihistamine. It blocks histamine release secondary to an allergic reaction It can be dosed at 1-2 mg/lb every 8-12 hours (maximum dose of 50 mg at any one time). Pseudoephedrine and diphenhydramine can be administered concomitantly to your Shar Pei and that would likely give him the most relief from his symptoms.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 10 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?