Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My labradoodle puppy has swelling of both eyelids and it has

Customer Question

Customer: My labradoodle puppy has swelling of both eyelids and it has not responded to benadryl. They swell to bursting and then heal and refill. We have had her for three weeks and this condition has just arisen in the past six days. We are taking her to the vet, but are at our wit's end. My wife and children are very anxious, as am I. Help please!
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: It does not seem to affect her personality or playfulness. She doesn't seem to be scratching at them.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Absolutely.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

You've described a blepharitis in your puppy. This defines inflammation of the eyelids that may be due to a primary bacterial infection or may be secondary to an underlying condition such as a parasitic (Demodex mange mite, e.g.), allergic or autoimmune skin disease. An allergic blepharitis isn't likely to swell and burst as you've noted and autoimmune diseases often cause lesions involving additional areas - the nose, lips, ears, footpads, etc. Your vet will want to perform skin scrapings looking for the mange mite and perform a cytology (microscopic exam of a small sample of the skin surface) looking for abnormal numbers of bacteria. Treatment would be predicated upon the findings in those tests.

Juvenile cellulitis should be an important differential diagnosis particularly if you're seeing swelling elsewhere about your puppy's face. Juvenile cellulitis is treated with antibiotics just as would a bacterial blepharitis be treated and the glucocorticoid prednisone is also given to these pups in order to address the severe immune response seen in this skin condition.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?