Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My name is ***** *****. My female dog is a rescue and she is

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** *****. My female dog is a rescue and she is about 9 years old. Her vulva is swollen on one side, she is not spayed, her gums are very pale and she vomited three times yesterday, her appetite has decreased for about a month now, she hada season about 1 to 2 months ago. When I touched her stomach near her vulva, as nearly next to it, it was hard and she was jumping as if it was hurting her when it I touched it.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: She has become very restless and very quiet and lying down being quite more than usual, it is out of character for her. She is a ***** ***** Terrier cross
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I haven't got any money in my account until tomorrow as that is when my wages go in.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 11 months ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

I believe she has a uterine infection called pyometra. There are two types so be sure and read the complete answer. Pyometra generally occurs 60-70 days after a heat cycle. It is usually seen in older unspayed females but can be seen in any age. It is diagnosed by ultrasound showing fluid in the uterus. There are two types of Pyometra (open and closed cervix) Symptoms of open cervix Pyometra are a vaginal discharge that may be pus or bloody, lethargy, anorexia, increased thirst and urination, vomiting and diarrhea, and abdominal swelling though the dog remains fairly healthy due to the infection draining from the body. Closed cervix Pyometra symptoms are the same without much of a discharge, they appear very ill, there is usually weight loss and abdominal swelling and is much more extreme. Dehydration, shock and death can occur if not treated aggressively.

http://petcare.suite101.com/article.cfm/pyometra

This is an emergency and treatment is generally an emergency spay to take all the infection out quickly. I'd get her into your vet as soon as possible as it is often deadly if not treated soon enough.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer so I am compensated for my time.

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may click here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well.

Since there have been recalls on certain foods, please check the following site to be sure the food your animals eat is not affected. If it is affected, contact your vet as soon as possible. Have your dog seen if they have any symptoms.

http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/SafetyHealth/RecallsWithdrawals/